Monday, May 04, 2015

Trying something new! Cover of the week - April 29, 2015

I feel like writing.  I know this will be a fleeting feeling, but this journey needs to begin with a first step, even if the journey is only to the mailbox and back.  Why a cover of the week feature?  Three reasons:

     1) It doesnt require a lot of writing or time on my part, but still encourages a regular effort.
     2) I feel like Ive lost touch with who the artist is on books I read, and I hope this helps me to discover who my favorite artists actually are.
     3) I get bent out of shape each year when the Eisner Award nominees for best cover artist are announced.  I have strong opinions about what makes a good cover, even if I can't always articulate what that criteria is.  It has to be unique, though.  Brian Bolland draws some pretty pictures, but one BB cover is the same as the next, so I cant get excited about them.  The Reverend Dave Johnson comes up with a new design every time he puts pen to paper.  What I like might not sell comics, and it might be on a crappy book, but I love me some covers.

And now, on with the show!

HONORABLE MENTIONS


Hit 1957 #2, cover by
 Vanessa Del Rey



Moon Knight #14, cover by
Declan Shelvy



Fantastic Four #645, cover by
 Leonard Kirk



Silver Surfer #11, cover by
 Mike Allred



Wayward #7, cover by
Sie Nanahara



G.I. Joe #8, cover by
Jeffrey Veregge















COVER OF THE WEEK:

Secret Avengers #15, cover by
 Tradd Moore

Blow up the image to a larger size, and take a look at all the details Moore threw into this.  Usually my eye gravitates to a more minimalist style, but here the giant whale drew me in from afar initially, and then I saw the giant school of fish, and hints of some Lovecraftian monster.  The characters are enjoying being there - even Natasha is smiling!  Aw, who am I kidding, it's the little Avengers fish that won me over.  Disney could start selling stuffed Deadpool fish tomorrow and they'd run out by the next day.  Smiles!

No comments: